Thursday, March 5, 2015

Welcome Home Destiny's Kelilah!

She's here!  My newest family addition arrived yesterday at 1.45 pm - right on schedule.  Thank you Kerry of Majestic transport for taking good care of her.  That's right, my latest family member whilst still a baby is not of the human persuasion - she's a 5 month old Clydie Cross filly weanling - Keli.


Keli was born on 4 October 2014 at Destiny Sporthorses in Mangaweka.  Her sire is Nukumaru Laddie and her dam is Craighaven Bella.  She is an absolute angel.  I've been meaning to blog her progress but here she is already and this is my first post!  Typical of my ability to keep up with anything LOL.  So I'll attempt to do some back story in each post as I continue to blog about her progress - one of those mixed up timelines that my partner cannot stand in movie plots.

Speaking of Marty, he's not impressed and is feigning a "no interest" stance BUT he's not grumbling so that's a better reaction than I anticipated.  Zoe of course is as much in love as I am - she spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon in the paddock talking to Keli and taking photos.  I'm having trouble wresting personal ownership of our newcomer with Zoe determined that she is "ours" not "mine".  Oh well I guess that means I can still ride Aslan occasionally (I "gifted" him to Zoe when I knew Keli was coming).

Keli's arrival didn't go down too well with Aslan either.  She called out to him and Tress the minute she got off the truck and spotted them and she was very keen to meet them.  With a post and rail fence between them I knew she was safe but I hadn't expected Azi to be so territorial, After an intial telling off by Azi over the fence when Keli very loudly chattered her teeth (baby talk) to him he has so far absolutely refused to let Tress near her, shadowing Tressie's every move around the paddock and keeping her well away from the fence.  Keli is in a huge paddock but hasn't left the bottom quarter that borders the big kids paddock and hangs out quite a bit by the gate - until Azi rushes at her from the other side of the gate, chasing her off.

But in the dark last night I did see him hanging his head over the fence towards her and she wasn't rushing off so he must have been being nice to her.  This morning he chased her away again but hopefully a couple of days will do the trick.  I was thinking of putting Tress in with Keli to start with because she's so placid and they'll probably get along but with Azi acting like Tress is his property maybe I'd better put him in first so as not to put his nose out of joint.



No comments:

Post a Comment